Fifty-two weeks - fifty-two spices

Monday, January 11, 2010

A quick note on cooking, dieting, and me.

So. Four years ago, I lived in Israel. I went to the gym every day, bought fresh fruits and vegetables to eat almost every day from a stand across the street, and was generally as fit as I've been.

Today, I have a law degree, a nine-month old child, and fifty extra pounds. It's a big change. A big, fat change. (Most amazing of all was how much weight I put on when my wife, Victoria, was pregnant.)

Thus, my wife and I are in the process of dieting. We're doing a low carb, low fat thing - nothing radical, just trying to adjust our diets to something that the human body likes a bit more than pizza and pasta six times a week. There isn't likely to be that much bread, potatoes, corn, etc, in my cooking, at least until I'm back at a reasonable weight. More's the shame, because I loves me some taters.

Also, Victoria is a vegetarian, for a certain definition of vegetable*. So, while I cook meat occasionally, mostly I do it at lunchtime, when she's not around. In the evenings, we have vegetarian* meals.

Finally, Benjamin, our son, is a baby. He eats baby food. Victoria makes a lot of the baby food herself, which is friggin' awesome. Where appropriate, she'll post baby food recipes that involve whatever spice we're working with.


* Fish, Peking duck, and my cheeseburgers are all vegetables.

1 comment:

  1. It is my experienced opinion that most babies hate spices. Reasons are difficult to pin down but come from multiple sources. I have seen evidence in my own experience as well as those of others. I would be interested in the SCIENCE of forcing your kid to try a whole bunch of spiced up baby food. Please tell me if he eats anything. It is my scientific opinion that one of you will lose some weight.

    ReplyDelete